Math 240: Introduction to Statistics
Math 240 is an introduction to probability and statistics. You will study discrete and continuous probability models, descriptive statistics, estimation and statistical inference.
Math 112 (Intermediate Algebra) with a C- or better or a college pre-calculus course with a C+ or better or suitable math assessment score.
You should complete one module every one to two weeks. Each module covers 2-5 sections of the textbooks and contains problem sets for each of these sections and a module quiz. To complete a module, you should read the appropriate textbook sections, finish the problem sets, and then take quiz. It's that simple!
Once you have finished all the quizzes, you should email the instructor to schedule your final exam. Unlike the quizzes, the final exam will be proctored using an online proctoring system.
Required Course Materials
- Elementary Statistics, by Mario Triola, 12 edition. ISBN-10: 0321836960 ISBN-13: 978-0321836960
- TI-83/84 calculator
- Webcam with microphone
- Ability to upload work as PDF. There are many phone apps that can do this quite efficiently.
The textbook may be obtained online through a price comparison website such as www.AddAll.com. Always be sure you are purchasing the correct edition of the book for this syllabus.
The grades are determined by your performance in three areas: problem sets, quizzes, and final exam.
- 20% problem sets
- One per each of the 29 sections of the textbook
- Frequently included embedded how to videos
- Problems can be re-attempted 3 times. The last attempt gets docked a 20% penalty.
- 50% nine quizzes
- Quizzes are designed to be completed biweekly
- Each quiz cover 2-5 problem sets
- Each quiz can be taken twice (different numbers each time) and the better of the two scores will be graded
- If you get fail to finish the quiz every two weeks, a 20% penalty will be applied to that quiz score.
- Your scratch work must be uploaded immediately after quiz
- 30% final exam
- Honorlock proctored
- Your scratch work must be uploaded immediately after final exam
- You will get two attempts on each question. The second attempt will be with new numbers and will only be worth 70% of the original points.
Every week your instructor will hold open office hours on Zoom. You are required to attend at least one office hour every two weeks. To make sure office hours are well spent, please email at least one statistics questions to your instructor 24 hours in advance of office hours. Then show up to office hours with your webcam on and ready to engage!
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.